2/23/2007

Sunugaal - Dj Awadi

Dj Awadi made a beautiful song about the migration problem in Senegal. Thousands of Africans leave from the Senegalese coast in rickety boats, attempting to reach the Canary Islands.

Dj Awadi sings about corruption and the politicisation of the legal system, with journalists and opposition politicians in jail, while thieves and robbers are set free, if they are ever arrested.

"You promised me I would have a job
You promised me I would have food
You promised me I would have real work and hope
But so far - nothing
That's why I am leaving,
that's why I am taking off in this canoe
Swearing not to stay here a second longer
I would prefer to die than to live in this hell."


Dj Awadi, 2006


Read the BBC article

and then listen to the song: Sunugaal

1 comment:

Gerson said...

Een zeer bijzonder project. Ik was echt onder de indruk! Het probleem van Afrikaanse immigranten naar Spanje is echt uit de klauwen gelopen (de bevolkingssamenstelling van Spanje is de laatste decade het meest veranderd t.o.v. de wereld!). Afrika is na al die jaren nog steeds een bende, maar wel met hoop! Als "eerlijke westerling" zou je graag willen helpen, maar hoe? Dat is de vraag. Denk dat we iig niet besluiteloos moeten stilstaan: het Westen koopt haar gemaakte schulden gul af, er is dientengevolge much money available voor projecten. Het is een kwestie van een goed initiatief bedenken... Als academicus moet men daar toch wel in staat toe zijn? Ben echt benieuwd naar je ervaringen straks in Sengal (Seneguul).